(specifics may vary in actual contract)
Title of Book ________________________________________
Topic / Thrust _______________________________________
Editor's name/street address and phone/email _________________
Number of indexable pages
Date Final Page Proofs to be delivered TO BWI ____________
Date Completed Index to be returned to publisher __________
Any restrictions on number of pages for index? (optional) _____
Method of text transmission
Type of index(es):
Once we decide to do business with each other, I will ask for the following:
Even if we simply "Follow Chicago," (Chicago Manual of Style, 15th edition) there are choices available. I am comfortable making the decisions about those items for which you do not indicate a preference.
Seed List - If there are specific concepts the author wishes to see in the index, feel free to list those (10-15 max) and their synonyms. Be assured that even without such a list, a professional indexer understands to look for concepts from the text itself.
THE FINE PRINT
* My estimate is based on an indexable page count. An indexable page is any page of the book (whether it is included in the index or not) which carries potential information, including pictures, figures, graphs for the index. Front and back matter, which I request for background, are not considered "indexable" unless you request that they be indexed.
* Re-indexing charges are $45/hr if the book's pagination changes after indexing has begun. (Note: if the content of any changes by whole pages and, say, all of page 55 becomes all of page 58 or all of Chapter 6 exchanges places with all of Chapter 13, there is no problem. If parts of some pages become parts of other pages, the re-indexing charge will apply.) I cannot emphasize enough that indexing depends upon the content of each numbered page remaining stable from the beginning of the indexing process to the final publication.
* An equal grace period is required at the tail end if the front end slips.
* I use Chicago 16 conventions, modified by your style preferences and the needs of the book. I would appreciate the house style sheet and the copyeditor's style sheet for your particular book (especially for spelling of names and unfamiliar words).
* The book is sent to me by email attachment or on a CD in PDF format. PDF (Portable Document Format) is a cross-platform method of transporting documents, exactly, in final form. This saves you shipping fees, and I do not charge for printing out a (magnified) copy of the book. I start the indexing process as soon as I receive the PDF, and use the PDF's search capabilities during the editing process.
* The delivered index will be considered a penultimate product. Your review and suggestions are welcome. Adjustments taking less than two hours will not incur extra charges. Sometimes adjustments are literally as easy as a few keystrokes on my end for changes that would take hours on your end. And I know where all the bones are buried.
* At no extra charge, I request to be allowed to quickly proofread the index after it is typeset. Proper indention is vital to an index, and twice I have found that an index I wrote has been rendered nonsensical (at least in part) by lack of attention to this very important detail.
* I bill by invoice and my invoices are payable upon receipt of index. No interest is due if payment is received by the 30th day after the invoice date. Interest is applied at a rate of 1.5 percent per month or partial month, including the month following date of the invoice. International invoices are payable in U.S. funds, and transfer fees are to be paid by the sender. Copyright is transferred when full payment is received.
* Responsibility for payment. The party who signs the agreement is the party responsible for payment. Authors are asked for 50% down when the agreement is signed.
* Oregon law shall govern and enforce this agreement. Any litigation or arbitration between the parties shall take place in Lane County, Oregon.
* Back Words Indexing does not assume liability for the content of the indexes. I am a freelance, independent subcontractor. Upon request, I will provide my SSN #.